Home Page

Special Educational Needs Information

Special Educational Needs 

You can find out about Hollywell Primary School's provision for and commitment to children with Special Educational Needs by clicking on this link to the Nottinghamshire Family Service Directory. It may answer many of your questions. If you would like to speak with a member of staff, do not hesitate to contact the school on 0115 9195898

If you are concerned that your child has special educational needs (SEN) talk to their teacher.You know your child better than anyone else.


Ask also to speak with the school's Special Needs Co-ordinator (SENCO),  Mrs Denise Pilkington. The SENCo organises extra help for children with SEN.


Talk to the teacher/SENCo about:

  • why you think your child has SEN
  • whether your child learns at the same rate as other children their age
  • what the school can do to help
  • what you can do to help


Your child's teacher and the SENCO will use the SEN Code of Practice to work out whether your child has SEN.


What will the school do?

Schools are required by law to provide an education for all pupils, regardless of their ability or special needs. Every child's education is equally important.


If the SENCO and your child's teacher agree that your child has SEN, the school will take a 'graduated approach' - this means 'step-by-step'. They will offer your child extra support, with the possibility of more support if needed.

Whatever the school decides to do, you have the right to be informed and for your views, and your child's views, to be taken into account.

Definitions of special educational needs (SEN) taken from section 20 of the Children and Families Act 2014.


A child or young person has SEN if they have a learning difficulty or disability which calls for special educational provision to be made for them. A child of compulsory school age or a young person has a learning difficulty or disability if they:


a) have a significantly greater difficulty in learning than the majority of others of the same age; or​

b) have a disability which prevents or hinders them from making use of educational facilities of a kind generally provided for others of the same age in mainstream schools or mainstream post-16 institutions.


A child under compulsory school age has special educational needs if they fall within the definition at (a) or (b) above or would do so if special educational provision was not made for them. 

Our Special Educational Needs Policy 

At Hollywell we aim to provide every child with access to a broad and balanced education. This includes the National Curriculum in line with the Special Educational Needs Code of Practice.

Our aims are:

  • to enable and encourage all children to develop their full potential;
  • to create an environment that meets the special educational needs of each child;
  • to ensure that the special educational needs of children are identified, assessed and provided for;
  • to create an environment that helps develop  a child’s self esteem
  • to make clear the expectations of all partners in the process;
  • to identify the roles and responsibilities of staff in providing for children’s special educational needs;
  • to enable all children to have full access to all elements of the school curriculum;
  • to ensure that parents are able to play their part in supporting their child’s education;
  • to ensure that our children have a voice in this process.

The SEND Local Offer

The SEND Local Offer is a resource which is designed to support children and young people with special educational needs and/or disabilities and their families. It describes the services and provision that are available both to those families in Nottinghamshire that have an Education, Health and Care Plan and those who do not have a plan, but still experience some form of special educational need. The SEND Local Offer includes information about public services across education, health and social care, as well as those provided by the private, voluntary and community sectors.

You can find a Parents Leaflet explaining this in more detail by clicking here. Parents Leaflet  

Or you can get straight to the Local Offer page at

You may also wish to find out more about help in Nottinghamshire by using a directory of services; use this link here. 

Welcome to Nottinghamshire Help Yourself

More details about the reforms and the SEN Code of Practice can be found on the Department for Education’s website: